People have have diabetes or who are affected by the disease are encouraged to learn more, get connected, and better manage it by attending UT Health Northeast’s free Empower Diabetes classes beginning May 2 in classroom 3207 at UT Health Northeast, 11937 U.S. 271.
Each session provides information for improved diabetes self-management and guidelines for living a healthy lifestyle. Blood sugar and blood pressure testing are provided at the first class and at the reunion class. Space is limited, and early registration is encouraged. Sessions include educational materials and door prizes.
Classes are free and topics include:
- 9-10 a.m. – What is Diabetes?
- 10-11 a.m. – Managing High and Low Blood Sugars and Sick Days
- 9-10 a.m. – Medications/Insulin
- 10-10:30 a.m. – Monitoring
- 10:30-11 a.m. – Stress/Coping
- 9-10 a.m. – Exercise
- 10-11 a.m. – Foot Care
- 9-10:30 a.m. – Meal Planning
- 10:30-11 a.m. – Goal Setting
- 9-11 a.m. – Reunion (Follow-Up) Class